In this workshop, participants will delve more deeply into the Phonemic Awareness program written by Dr Michael Heggerty. This workshop has been designed for participants who have some previous experience with the program and wish to refine and consolidate while gaining an understanding of how this sits within broader literacy strategies.
The program "Phonemic Awareness: The Skills That They Need to Help Them Succeed!" provides daily teacher-led oral word play activities to help students develop the decoding skills essential to become proficient readers.
- Gain an in-depth understanding of the science of reading and the importance of a structured literacy approach.
- Plan effective literacy blocks which include all of the elements of a structured literacy approach, including phonemic awareness.
- Revise and refine implementation of the Phonemic Awareness program.
- Understand how to use data for planning for literacy instruction.
- Ideas and strategies for leading literacy practice with colleagues.